Board index Discussion Music Discussion

Need music for short film

Talk about all music related topics
Post a reply
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Need music for short film

Postby NEOREV » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey everybody,

I've been helping my friend James finish up his b-horror comedy movie titled "Hack Job" that will be released on DVD in July. We even have Dave Brockie from GWAR and Lloyd Kaufman of Troma Pictures in the movie along with other famous b-movie and reality TV stars. Working behind the scenes on set has reignited my first true passion that I had before music, which is film making. On set, I met the lighting guy Steve and found out that he really enjoys producing and writing his own stuff. He gave me three scripts: In Limbo, Angels, and Candy. The three short films with be comprised into one film titled "Soul Scriptures." He put together a crew that he wants to work on them.

I really enjoyed his idea behind "In Limbo" and asked if I could do a rewrite to add some ideas. I gave it a shot and made some changes. Steve and the crew loved the new draft so much, they told me to go even further with it and change whatever I felt. I turned Steve's 7 page treatment into a 30 page script. I also sat Steve the producer and Sean the director of photography to go over shot ideas. They loved my vision so much that they are giving me the chance to make my dream come true and direct. I use to make silly movies with friends when I was a teenager and read books about working on set. But this will be something much more serious.

Steve invited me to come along on his meeting with a more legit indie producer on Long Island that's interested in helping out and funding our movie as an executive producer. We even have a local vodka company that donated money for some frame time. We held a casting call in NYC and was able to cast the two female roles that the main character meets. So little by little it is coming along.

"In Limbo" is a psychological thriller that follows a man's downward spiral re-experiencing the mistakes and regrets in his life after with the confrontation of death. So here's where you guys can help me out. I need some atmospheric, mood setting stuff. Nothing too beat oriented. Don't mind some rhythmical stuff. But nothing too in your face. Maybe some piano stuff as well. It's an emotional story. The idea that we sometimes choose the path to our own self destruction without realizing it. We will give you credit for your work used in the movie during the end credits.

We will begin filming in late July. I hope to show them that I have what it takes and, if it turns out good, I might direct the other two parts as well instead of having 3 different directors for each part. Fingers crossed. So yeah, send me your ideas! I can't wait to hear whatcha all come up with.
neorev.bandcamp.com // facebook.com/neorev // soundcloud.com/neorev // youtube.com/neorevmusic
NEOREV

Re: Need music for short film

Postby Highvoltage » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Congrats!

What idea do you have on the score? I mean should it be traditional orchestral (boring movie stuff), or can be more experimental with synth textures ?
Is he actually in limbo, or its just a metaphor?
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NEOREV » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Doesn't have to be traditional at all
Moments of offputting, disorienting, mind fucking the listener aurally while ill do it visually
Moments of emotional, somber, droney, unsettling
Bring it!
:D

It's going into a person's brain/psyche and re-experiencing horrible moments of his life
A portion of it is actually finding out the truth about certain events...
but as well as being tortured by hellish versions of it

We all have a path to the good 8-) and a path to our own destruction :twisted:...
and sometimes we obliviously self-sabotage ourselves from getting there...

Ya know, metaphorically speaking and all
;)

Jacob's Ladder meets Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind meets Mullholland Drive

But I'm not gonna give away the ending.
:D
neorev.bandcamp.com // facebook.com/neorev // soundcloud.com/neorev // youtube.com/neorevmusic
NEOREV

Postby Laurie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:45 am

Congrats on the opportunity! I can see Baltars Dream or Jesse Gorter having the material you're looking for 8-)
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby Thermonuclearity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:48 pm

i sent you some demos, mike.
btw, i thought i was the only one who loved eternal sunshine of a spotless mind. =)
Thermonuclearity
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Postby Jesse Gorter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 pm

so dark? hmmm maybe! :P
http://soundcloud.com/jessegorter/
Jesse Gorter
Major
Major

Postby NEOREV » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Yeah, dark lol.

Got ya themes Baltar, very nice work! I'm also gonna share what I receive with the directors of the two other movies as well.
NEOREV

Postby Highvoltage » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Baltars Dream wrote: i thought i was the only one who loved eternal sunshine of a spotless mind. =)

no way, thats a brilliant moive
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Agent Orange » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Highvoltage wrote:
Baltars Dream wrote: i thought i was the only one who loved eternal sunshine of a spotless mind. =)

no way, thats a brilliant moive

Seriously. That was a great one!
Agent Orange
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Post a reply