Board index Discussion Off Topic Discussion

Get the old tracks out and dust them off !

All non-music related discussion goes here
Post a reply
44 posts • Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Get the old tracks out and dust them off !

Postby Studio Star » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Allright. I thought this topic could be sorta like a place of confession... where all of you get you oldest tracks out and reveal them to the rest of us. Dig as deep into your harddrives or floppydiscs as possible.

I´ll start... hrm.
Along time ago I made rave and trance music. A very dark secret of mine... :ugeek:

Two of them are from 97-98 and one from like 2001-2002.
Attachments
No player available
MENBOLDT.MP3
I made this in school with FT2 on one of the school computers. We had just got internet I remember. From 97-98, something like that.
(6.98 MiB) Downloaded 243 times
No player available
WONDERFU.MP3
Now this one is perhaps the oldest track I still have... from 97-98.
(5.87 MiB) Downloaded 240 times
No player available
zebras (unfinished).MP3
This one is from like... 2001.
(9.22 MiB) Downloaded 223 times
"Everybody take it to the top!"
Studio Star
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Get the old tracks out and dust them off !

Postby Nocturne » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 pm

no way :lol: Im trying to dig them deeper as of now, it's fucking embarrassing my old shit, cant even call it stuff or junk.

but I'll check yours later on :P
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. - Genesis 1:5
http://www.myspace.com/nightlegacy
Nocturne
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Jesse Gorter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:58 pm

http://soundcloud.com/jessegorter/
Jesse Gorter
Major
Major

Postby Laurie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:05 pm

I've only been producing for about 2 and a half years, but when I show you my old stuff, you should definitely see how much my sound has changed (and more importantly, improved)

I'll post some stuff in a bit
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby Dr.EM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:40 pm

"Raining on the moon", from year 9-10 of school I'm pretty sure, so about 7 years ago! First "proper" one, though there is a forever lost one even older, before I had any proper synths even :( . Recorded live as audio into Ejay Dance 2 and beats made on built in 'Groove generator'! 140BPM or bust :lol:

"String track", bit more obscure, track recorded live to MD with my EG-101 and 2 old casio keyboards! Year 9 I estimate (~7 years old). Unfortunately at the time I'd bought a mixer with 2 "Phono" inputs, ie for decks. As such the mix is a total mess; ah the days before knowing about RIAA magnetic cartridge compensation curves :lol: :oops:

"Popcorn", just to be silly a track from year 7-8 of school (~9 years ago). Made on a cute program called "Sim tunes", with animated instruments which play colourful dots as notes :lol: . We put this and some other tracks (there were 3 of us messing around with it) on tape and sold them to classmates at the time :P

No player available
Raining on the moon.mp3
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 235 times

No player available
String track.mp3
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 250 times

No player available
Popcorn original.mp3
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 237 times
Last edited by Dr.EM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dr.EM
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Dr.EM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Studio Star, checking out your oldies :P

'Wonderfu', pretty cool, I reckon that would have gone down a storm at an old school rave 8-)

'Menboldt', Good ideas in here actually! Quite a nice vibe.

'Zebras', much more of a modern trance/Ibitza style. With a vocal I could certainly imagine this getting club play, certainly back when you made it but perhaps even today.

Good thread idea, always interesting :)
Dr.EM
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Laurie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 pm

Right, time to show you where It all started... and I may as well make a mini auto-biography out of it.

My first taste of music production was about 3 years ago (when I was 13) on Cubasis VST 5. I would load up the default samples which came with the program and make little tracks with the tunes. The structure was appalling but even at this stage I had a large interest in music production.

At the end of Year 8 in school (the same year), I was asked to complete a piece of art for a school project and make a 12 week diary about the making of it (The Expressive Arts Challenge). While other people were painting pictures and creating home videos, I decided that I wanted to make a music composition, which of course I had little knowledge of previously. Fortunately, my brother was also interested in production (he started a few months before me) and he downloaded V-Station from the school. This meant that I had a VST plugin to get started with.

The track that I completed is labelled as "Laurie's Expressive Arts Challenge" and if I created it today, you'd all be confused as to how I could make such a relatively bad tune (if you want to call it a tune). There are no drums, there is no "drop", all the levels are wrong and there is no basic structure to speak of. But if I wasn't asked to complete the challenge and make this tune, I probably wouldn't be doing what I'm doing today.

After finishing the track and recieving excellent compliments from the teachers and pupils (remember, I was only 13 at the time and had no music experience), I was hungry for more. My brother bought Cubase SE3 and I created a track called "Imagine" in 4 hours. Looking back at it, the main melody is basically a ripoff of Coldplay, but this is the tune with the memories. If someone asked me what my first proper track was, I'd say Imagine. Oh and no, it's not of any relevance to John Lennon. :P

I won't bore you by analyzing every track that I made, but here are some highlights I'd like to share:

Ultraviolet - This was my first ever trance track that I made in July 2007 soon after I turned 14. Again, the production is terrible, but I was really happy with this track when I finished it and showed it to my friends (especially at the drop).

Break It Down: This is another mediocre track which is quite special to me. It was my first breakbeat tune and kind of highlights the crossover of trance which I was involved in at the time (September 2007).

Dust Devil: I made this hard trance track over two years ago and it still remains one of my favourite tracks of mine when it comes to dance floor rave-ups. The arrangement may be a bit generic but it's my best trance track by a long shot imo.

Can't Stop (see attachments for link): Created in February 2008, this is the track that has always meant the most to me. I've kept it on my myspace player ever since I put it up and it still remains one of my favourites of mine (the vocal version, unlike the one I entered into the BK competition). Due to me being so new to production at the time of creation, the arrangement isn't that great from about 2 minutes onwards, but I hope to fix this as well as many other elements in a re-edit or remix that I'll be doing shortly.

There's many other tracks that can count as highlights (obviously including Culture Shock, Tubular Beats and my remix of Muse's "Starlight" that got 20k views and a 4.7/5 rating on YouTube) but I won't include anything that I made after a year of productions because then it isn't actually so old. Anyways, hopefully you survived reading most of this incredibly long post :D
Attachments
No player available
Can't Stop.mp3
The track that means the most to me
(6.43 MiB) Downloaded 245 times
No player available
Imagine - LaurieE.mp3
The track that I label as my first production
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
No player available
Laurie's Expressive Arts Challenge.mp3
My first composition, completed for a school project
(4.4 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby Studio Star » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Love imagine... those chords playing... sounds like some Kraftwerk song or something... nice little piece =) nice for a first song !!

Remember Can´t Stop... didnt you submit that one in a competition?... I voted for it... loved it ! still do !
Studio Star
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Laurie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Studio Star wrote:Love imagine... those chords playing... sounds like some Kraftwerk song or something... nice little piece =) nice for a first song !!

cheers mate, you can probably see why I prefer to call it my first track instead of that expressive arts one eh :lol:

I didn't really know what I was doing, but I've got no regrets in making it as everything was (and still is, today) a stepping stone for the next production
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby Studio Star » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:00 am

Dr.EM wrote: Unfortunately at the time I'd bought a mixer with 2 "Phono" inputs, ie for decks. As such the mix is a total mess; ah the days before knowing about RIAA magnetic cartridge compensation curves :lol: :oops:

Makes it sound old school !!... Boards Of Canada record their instruments back and forth between two tape recorders until it sounds rugged enough. =)
Studio Star
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

44 posts • Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post a reply