Board index Site Music-Playground.net

Juice things up...

Discuss Music Playground
Post a reply
23 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Re: Juice things up...

Postby lothario » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 am

Design
I'm definitely up for a re-design by Erin. The rule of thumb is, if she can make it in Photoshop, I can create it in html. We just need to discuss which pages are the more important ones. Design questions could be:

Who are the main audience?
What are the main functionalities?
What can be removed? Less used pages/functionalities?
Access by mobile users?
Integration with social sites?
Changes to site announcements and headlines?

If Erin would like to sketch up some ideas for frontpage/artistpage/forumpages/competition pages, that would be awesome!

Homepage
Ulonix's idea of integrating artist twitters and facebook feeds are great, and also a forum topic feed. The most important thing about the homepage, is quickly introducing new visitors to what the site is about, and try not to clutter it with information.

Artist Profile Pages
I think it will be easier to design a profile interface from scratch, rather than integrate wordpress with the site - wordpress have a very convoluted code base afaik, and I'd rather not attempt adding it into the site. All the inner workings of the site is born from the forum software, so I'd rather keep it simple, and use what we already have. All the administration is built into the forum software, and just needs to be expanded to include profile pages.

I think the artist pages should be possible to customize, but share the same structure.
Each page can easily have their own players. I'm also working on creating releases, without admin involvement.

Maybe each artist page should have a chat-box, like the one in the forum.

Radio Station
I have no experience in how to set up this, but if Neo is up for it, I'll definitely help implementing it.

General
I agree that this site is very forum-based. Small steps have previously been made to fill the site with other things(reviews/ratings/chat), but perhaps local artist commenting/discussion should be implemented as well.

Features
Here's a list of all the sites current features. Let me know your view on each of them, if they should be removed/changed or just your thoughts or usage of them:

Frontpage
Promoted Artists
Track of the month
Featured track

Forum

Music
Player
Custom playlists
Podcasts
Upload music
Submit podcast
Reviews
Best of
Releases

Competition

Shop
lothario
General
General

Postby ulonix » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

lothario wrote:Design
I'm definitely up for a re-design by Erin. The rule of thumb is, if she can make it in Photoshop, I can create it in html. We just need to discuss which pages are the more important ones. Design questions could be:

Who are the main audience?
What are the main functionalities?
What can be removed? Less used pages/functionalities?
Access by mobile users?

This could be a great opportunity, to build the homepage and artist pages with something like twitter's bootstrap, so we have 1 version that can work with multiple devices.

Integration with social sites?

Very important , that way Music Playground can gain more listeners/members,etc.

Changes to site announcements and headlines?

If Erin would like to sketch up some ideas for frontpage/artistpage/forumpages/competition pages, that would be awesome!

Homepage
Ulonix's idea of integrating artist twitters and facebook feeds are great, and also a forum topic feed. The most important thing about the homepage, is quickly introducing new visitors to what the site is about, and try not to clutter it with information.

Artist Profile Pages
I think it will be easier to design a profile interface from scratch, rather than integrate wordpress with the site - wordpress have a very convoluted code base afaik, and I'd rather not attempt adding it into the site. All the inner workings of the site is born from the forum software, so I'd rather keep it simple, and use what we already have. All the administration is built into the forum software, and just needs to be expanded to include profile pages.

I think the artist pages should be possible to customize, but share the same structure.
Each page can easily have their own players. I'm also working on creating releases, without admin involvement.

Maybe each artist page should have a chat-box, like the one in the forum.

I agree with this, one template for everyone

Radio Station
I have no experience in how to set up this, but if Neo is up for it, I'll definitely help implementing it.

General
I agree that this site is very forum-based. Small steps have previously been made to fill the site with other things(reviews/ratings/chat), but perhaps local artist commenting/discussion should be implemented as well.

Features
Here's a list of all the sites current features. Let me know your view on each of them, if they should be removed/changed or just your thoughts or usage of them:

Frontpage
Promoted Artists
Track of the month
Featured track

Forum

Music
Player
Custom playlists
Podcasts
Upload music
Submit podcast
Reviews
Best of
Releases

Competition

Shop

I'll answer the other one's later!
http://www.twotigersmusic.net
ulonix
Captain
Captain

Postby Mo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:06 pm

I absolutely am passionately in agree acne with the mobile site & social integration.

Everything else sounds good. I think a music player with a playlist of great tracks needs to be on the home page, and it should auto-play....

I'll keep thinking!
This is my fucking signature.
Mo

Postby NEOREV » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 am

@Mo
to kinda go with your playlist of great tracks...

you know how we have a best of compilation from 2007 to 2011
i was thinking that maybe we should have a best of for each year

i think we should all vote on the best of 2012 now and have it up (possibly on the front page), doesn't necessarily have to be a CD like our first comp, but that'll be cool too.

but if anything we should at least have a Best Of 2012 for download on the site.
then, from now on at the end of each year we can put together a Best Of (insert year) to go up... kinda like what Bleep.com does each year. figure, last week of November we vote and then it can go up in December. it'll be a good way to show off great tracks and for people coming to the site, it'll connect them to the artists directly.

i always wished our release section was a bit more up to date... maybe stick with a dedicated page for releases

or another idea was to have individual artists' releases on their own page. could make a scrolling of album cover thumbs with info to download.

something kinda like this... http://www.sarahfimm.com/music
but a bit more compact/less intrusive on the page

every release that an MP artist puts together should be connected through our release page... even if the download connects through an individual artist's Bandcamp. like for instance, only my Children Of The Bomb album is up on the release page, but i would like to have all of my EPs represented as well.

i've seen some MP artists post releases on their own on their own sites, but neglect to have it on the MP site
if an MP artist has a release, i feel it should be represented on the site. but that's really up to the artist to take the initiative. we should take pride in our release section. and if you have a release, it should be on the MP site and not just your own website. but that's just how i feel.

this bit doesn't really pertain to the site directly... but involves MP...
for those who saw the art of my last CD, i even made sure to put the Music Playground logo and web address on the back cover. i have plans to put up all of the EPs for sale at the cost for Reverbnation to print and duplicate, like what we did with the Music Playground comp, because i don't want to make money off of the work from the remixers included. and i'm gonna make sure that i include the Music Playground logo and web address on those as well.

i think that is something all MP artists should take into consideration if they ever print releases on their own. if you ever print something o include art for folks downloading to be able print and make their own CD, give MP a little love.i could get Erin to make a vector logo that can be downloaded and then you can attach to your release art. just another way to help get the MP name out there.
neorev.bandcamp.com // facebook.com/neorev // soundcloud.com/neorev // youtube.com/neorevmusic
NEOREV

Postby ulonix » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 am

NEOREV wrote:
i think that is something all MP artists should take into consideration if they ever print releases on their own. if you ever print something o include art for folks downloading to be able print and make their own CD, give MP a little love.i could get Erin to make a vector logo that can be downloaded and then you can attach to your release art. just another way to help get the MP name out there.

i totally agree here, in my personal case, we have a direct link to music playground at twotigersmusic.net and i always name this site at my personal blog
http://www.twotigersmusic.net
ulonix
Captain
Captain

Postby NEOREV » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm

for example...

it's kinda cut off, but to the left it states A MIDI BEAR RECORDS/MUSIC PLAYGROUND RELEASE
neorev.bandcamp.com // facebook.com/neorev // soundcloud.com/neorev // youtube.com/neorevmusic
NEOREV

Postby Mo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm

I think I will have difficulty getting Music Playground credited on any official GG releases now, which is a shame. But I have a new solo project in the works that will be a million percent Music Playground =)
This is my fucking signature.
Mo

Postby NEOREV » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 am

Mo wrote:I think I will have difficulty getting Music Playground credited on any official GG releases now, which is a shame. But I have a new solo project in the works that will be a million percent Music Playground =)

of course, you're in a much different situation when dealing with a professional label

i meant more toward any MP artist who prints their own CDs, such as myself

another thing MP needs is more merch... t-shirts and stuff.

the front page needs a little more pizzazz, something that isn't too cluttered yet still informative and connect people to the music

me and Erin are working on some ideas at the moment
NEOREV

Postby lothario » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 am

Good ideas all around. The release section is staggering at the moment, because every release have to be added manually. I have plans to add releases to the current music-player/manager, so everything is integrated. I can't wait to see what you and Erin cook up. If anyone have inspirations for the site (from other websites) please post them here (f.ex. who does mobile web pages well, good front page, good audio integration, good audio management, good social integration etc.)
lothario
General
General

Postby NEOREV » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm

here's a cool site for contests, remixing, production, etc...
http://www.indabamusic.com/
NEOREV

23 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3
Post a reply