Board index Site Competition Comments

Track/Group/Result Comments

Post your comments and thoughts about the current competition here.
Post a reply
19 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Track/Group/Result Comments

Postby lothario » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:45 am

I'll just do a quick comment on the results after the first round.

Group 1 (HV, Roadkill, Aquila, Grant Lloyd, Darkwave)
I may have been the only one to really enjoy Darkwaves track, cause that didn't get as many points as I think it deserved at all. I think the two strongest and more original tracks took the top spots, Roadkill was even close to winning, but because HV did a lot of reviews (= extra points), he came out first. Personally I would have liked to see Roadkill take the group, but I can't deny HV did a strong remix.

Group 2 (Lothario, Dr. Em, Getaphix, Moozeblaster, Necronomicon2)
I knew this was gonna be a tough group with the likes of Dr. EM, Moozeblaster and Necronomicon2 (all featured artists), so I was amazed to come out on top in this one (and then by such a margin!). What probably helped me was Dr. Em (apparently) entering a B-Side (IIRC), Necronomicon2 bravely attempting to submit a non-electronic (demo) track and Moozeblaster shifting out of his comfort zone and delivering a beatless 9-minute dreamer track. Getaphix was IMO a very strong contender as well, and got a good foothold in his first competition, even had a shot at second place, if Dr. EM didn't have the extra points from his reviewing.

Group 3 (PJ, Jesse Gorter, Laurie Ewen, Wolfen)
For me, this was the pleasant surprise of the competition: PJ winning this group. Against the likes of experienced competition participants like Jesse, Laurie and Wolfen, an impressive progressive house track was needed and delivered to take the first place. Jesse Gorter, a master of the arrangement category, submitted a breath of fresh air with his 'un-arranged' track, using his extra-points from reviewing to just take the second place in front of Laurie Ewens '90-esque track. Wolfen's competition entry was miles ahead of his previous material, and though not really breathing down the other artists necks in this group, there is no doubt his continuous growth will be a factor to consider in future competitions.

Group 4 (100 NAMES, Neorev, The Prodigital, Symphoenix)
A massive dominance by the two featured artists in this group left the newcomers a bit staggered. 100NAMES narrowly came out on top with his funkalicious tune (qualifying for the GOLD group for the second time), seeing Neorev's hard and well-done tune just pushed down a spot. Symphoenix made a decent competition debut, but had to see himself hurtling a bit behind by The Prodigital's solid second competition entry.
lothario
General
General

Re: Track/Group/Result Comments

Postby Laurie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:27 pm

I can agree that Wolfen's entry is his best track to date. Big improvement in production, and great use of sampling.
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby Wolfen » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Laurie wrote:I can agree that Wolfen's entry is his best track to date. Big improvement in production, and great use of sampling.

+1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's definately the tidiest mix i've delivered, sparse track but I like it that way! Cheers for the props bloke! :)
Outlaw
Wolfen
Captain
Captain

Postby Necronomicon2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 pm

lothario wrote:Necronomicon2 bravely attempting to submit a non-electronic (demo) track

:) Funny, to me it IS an electronic track :P Electro-drumsamples, copy-paste of the guitars and bass. The only thing could be the vocals, but a lot of electronic music has them too.
But I totally get what you mean ;)
I just wanted to enter and get the numbers up, so I dived into one of my other projects. This song really gets the crowd going, I love playing it live!

Indeed, all artist show great improvement.....except for High Voltage and Aquila. If they improve any more we will need to send them to another planet :P
..:: CAKE ::..
Necronomicon2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Highvoltage » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:23 pm

hey my post disappeared.
i wrote that my biggest surprise was STD not getting more points. its was my fav. but its in the reviews
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Necronomicon2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Highvoltage wrote:hey my post disappeared.
i wrote that my biggest surprise was STD not getting more points. its was my fav. but its in the reviews

Haha! Cool. At least someone liked it. I guess most people here are more into the obvious electro-sound. But that's very much a personal thing.
..:: CAKE ::..
Necronomicon2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Laurie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Necronomicon2 wrote:
Highvoltage wrote:hey my post disappeared.

Haha! Cool. At least someone liked it. I guess most people here are more into the obvious electro-sound. But that's very much a personal thing.

I liked the chorus, I just didn't find it very pleasant to listen to in a home environment otherwise. At the same time, you shouldn't feel bad at all because your track was in a very strong group, and I'm sure it works very well live, as you said :)
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby Jesse Gorter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm

it was not as catchy as your usual stuff, in my opinion. Good production but it was a bit...not my cup of tea.

Still love your work, keep it up. I need more overdrive super fast catchy destroyer tunes
http://soundcloud.com/jessegorter/
Jesse Gorter
Major
Major

Postby Highvoltage » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:17 pm

lol actually i thought it was really catchy when that synth lead comes in. yeah there maybe some neutral parts, but that totally made up for it for me.
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Mo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Damn, I'm not sure if a week is long enough to judge & vote the tracks... The more I listen, the more other tracks stand out. Glad I didn't submit my reviews yet, going to change them and add some stuff.

Pink Elephants is still my fave :P
This is my fucking signature.
Mo

19 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2
Post a reply