Board index Site Competition Comments

The Sheep Competition

Post your comments and thoughts about the current competition here.
Post a reply
126 posts • Page 1 of 131, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13

The Sheep Competition

Postby s0ren » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi all

Currently, i am working on a game for iPhone/iPod/iPad, which i plan to release mid/late february 2011. I cant reveal much about the game-play, but its about sheep! You control a bunch of sheep through various levels, and you have to keep as many alive as you can. A work in progress screen-shot can be seen here:
Right now i am in need for a good soundtrack for the game, and thats the idea behind this competition.
The game is for everyone aged 10 or above, and the song style can be anything from chiptune to big band jazz, to folk music. Be creative :) The winner will be the one who makes the best song which catches the artistic style and concept of the game.

Enrolment requirements
1 to 2 minutes long
No copyrighted samples
At least 10 individual participants in the competition
Every artist can enrol with up to 3 songs
Artists must allow me rights to use the song in the game

Pros and cons
Would be great if the song is very melodic, and perhaps somehow a bit "funny" and catchy
Would be good if its loopable (not too much build-up)
Not too slow - There is a certain stress-factor in the game
No loud bass (synth or drums - they can not really be heard from the built in speakers anyway)
Preferably not too synthetic sounding. Its a game with sheep, not cyborgs and fast cars

Examples
Something like the cantina theme would be great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tyg68GqZhM
Gremlins theme would also be good (catchy and humorish) but its a tad too dark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHsPQMHkI7o

Price
I have been looking at various sites with music available for licensing, but I haven't found anything worth mentioning yet. At soundrangers.com they charge 40€ per song with the type of license required for my game, so the winner of this competition (the winner I pick) will receive 30€ PLUS 40€ extra if I decide to use the song. The winner will be credited by name or artist name in the game itself.
I must receive a license to use the song in my game however, but i do not require exclusive rights (you will still own the rights to your song). If I earn enough to from selling copies of the game to break even (i have currently spend about 1600€) i may give the winner artist an even bigger reward.

I know that the requirements may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i hope you will see it as a challenge and a possibility to get a hopefully big audience.
iPhone game, featuring Necronomicon2 :: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/what-the-flock/id421005889
s0ren
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Re: The Sheep Competition

Postby lothario » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Practical stuff:

You can upload your track when the improved site is ready (which should be early January).
The deadline will be start of february, so Søren have time to decide on a track.

As you read, he will select the winner of the prize, however regular voting will also take place. So the competition winner may not be the prize-winner.
lothario
General
General

Postby Aquila » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Wow. Talk about a refreshing inspiration!

I'm glad you're allowing multiple entries, coz I've already got a few ideas.
Est. 1981
Aquila
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Laurie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:55 am

Nice, this looks like it'll be fun :)
Laurie
Major
Major

Postby ulonix » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:53 pm

This looks great i'm sure here is a lot of talent to make this kind of stuff
http://www.twotigersmusic.net
ulonix
Captain
Captain

Postby s0ren » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:41 pm

I noticed that the colors in the screenshot seems rather blueish. I made all the graphics on my primary workstation, but when i moved it to my mac and ipod, it all seemed too yellow (too much green and red and not enough blue), so i raised the blue levels and thought my monitor was in bad need of calibration. But at work i saw that it is indeed very blue'ish, but i will leave it that way so that it will still look as planed on mac hardware. Just so you all know :)
iPhone game, featuring Necronomicon2 :: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/what-the-flock/id421005889
s0ren
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Postby lothario » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:07 pm

I think we're gonna make this an anonymous competition, just to test it out :)
lothario
General
General

Postby Necronomicon2 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 am

Well, this sounds very interesting!
I hope ewe like my entry :P
..:: CAKE ::..
Necronomicon2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Is there going to be just one song in the game, or like a title tune and then some ingame music?
This is my fucking signature.
Mo

Postby s0ren » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:01 am

A title song for sure, which is the one im after. Something good for when people start up the game and between levels (which on their own are not very long). In-game i have thought about having only ambient sounds and SFX.
The winner can have influence on this decision too though, if he for example suggests making two versions of the song; the regular one, and a simplified version with less layers/instruments for using in-game for example. Creative ideas are welcome :)
s0ren
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

126 posts • Page 1 of 131, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13
Post a reply