Board index Site Competition Comments

Summer Vibes Competition

Post your comments and thoughts about the current competition here.
Post a reply
98 posts • Page 7 of 101 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Re: Summer Vibes Competition

Postby lothario » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Highvoltage wrote:for me the rating doesn't display in the playlist, just a zero everywhere

This is intentional, to avoid creating bias. The ratings will be available, when the competition is archived. It's an error, that it displays in the info box, when you play a track.
lothario
General
General

Postby Highvoltage » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:18 pm

makes sense
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Agent Orange » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am

Hey I have to bitch a bit.

When the contest started, I read about the 'no samples' rule. I was just making a track, with samples... so I decided to NOT enter it and just stick to the rules. Now I read the topic, it seems that it's ok to use them? Fucking bullshit. :x I could've just been in the contest. And listening to the entries I hear samples every now and then. Either stick to the fucking rules or wait for the next contest. It's very unfair. I basically kinda ignored this contest knowing I couldn't enter in any other way. I don't work on multiple tracks.
Agent Orange
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Postby lothario » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:43 am

Agent Orange wrote:Hey I have to bitch a bit.

When the contest started, I read about the 'no samples' rule. I was just making a track, with samples... so I decided to NOT enter it and just stick to the rules. Now I read the topic, it seems that it's ok to use them? Fucking bullshit. :x I could've just been in the contest. And listening to the entries I hear samples every now and then. Either stick to the fucking rules or wait for the next contest. It's very unfair. I basically kinda ignored this contest knowing I couldn't enter in any other way. I don't work on multiple tracks.

That is quite understandable, and that is why there will be no more 'no samples' contests, because it is very ambiguous. All I wanted was that artists challenged themselves, and not take the lazy route of just splattering their tracks with samples. But at the same time, I want people to be able to participate in competitions, since we're not that big a community, so I guess that's why I was quite lenient in this one (also because there are no prize this time). I should maybe have been more clear in what my interpretation of 'no samples' was, and I am sorry to hear that you discarded your track for this competition. In the future, I'll make it more clear-cut and simple how the rules are meant.
lothario
General
General

Postby Omega Kid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:48 am

Oh well, but u can cover a Genesis track... LOL
We have lost Mo too :roll:
Omega Kid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Highvoltage » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 am

"take the lazy route of just splattering their tracks with samples"

Oh this is a can of worms right there. We all agreed at some point, that using samples can be an artform on its own. If you're shit at making music, limiting the usage of sampling won't make you more creative, you might just lose another tool. Someone likes to use only samples, and maybe not really good at using synths and shit. If you hear a track that blatantly uses samples, in a boring way, you just simply not vote for it. If its good anyway, then it deserves the win.
And also nearly every track would be disqualified just cause the drum samples.
SAY NO TO SAMPLE RACISM. thihihi

"u can cover a Genesis track"

Funny enough if you listen to all my other newer music, i rarely use samples, and this sample is also a placeholder, cause i had to finish it in time for my live set and it just worked like a charm.
Anyway does it really sound like a cover? I added that sample the last thing lol. I guess im not creative.

Just remove my entry and all will be merry
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Highvoltage » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 am

oh just read the review of Neorev, i never heard "Not Enough" by Junkie XL, but im curious, listening now.
Highvoltage
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Omega Kid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:35 am

Hey don't get me too serious :o Just kidding, the middle melody part after sample is the same as The Knife, so i was thinking that are an ubercool Genesis tribute. That's it. Is one of your best track, very creative.
Don't give a damn about samples on tracks honestly, mine have one actually... :twisted:
Omega Kid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Palmi Johannsson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Can´t wait to sit over your music tomorrow guys with one ICECOLD BEEEERAH and VOTEEEE yEah, last shift in the fucking heat here in the STEELfacTory and then summervacation and MUSICNONSTOPSUMMERJE! ;)
Pálmi Þór Jóhannsson
Palmi Johannsson
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Postby NEOREV » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 pm

To HV... It's nothing major, literally like a couple of seconds during the organ/rhodes part. there's a duh-duh-duh-duh part at 1:27 right before the organ really comes in. Then later when it breaks down at 2:27 ish, you hear the duh-duh-duh-duh and it sounds like the opening couple of seconds of Not Enough. Literally just one note going duh-duh-duh-duh real quick. Maybe just a similar instrument hitting the right note and sound. I was gonna be like, wow that's genius use if it was a sample. Nothing in your face noticeable. It's just the fact that I'm a huge fan of the track and love finding hidden samples. But yeah, looks like you just hit the right note and sound for that couple of seconds. Ace track btw!
neorev.bandcamp.com // facebook.com/neorev // soundcloud.com/neorev // youtube.com/neorevmusic
NEOREV

98 posts • Page 7 of 101 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Post a reply