Board index Site Competition Comments

Recent Spam Bot Attack

Post your comments and thoughts about the current competition here.
Post a reply
16 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Recent Spam Bot Attack

Postby Aquila » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 am

lothario wrote:
Aquila wrote:Well my phone kept going off throughout the night with email alerts for new registrations. 96 in total. I have a feeling this isn't going to be easy...

That's odd, I haven't received a single one... might check up on mail settings.

I took a read around the phpbb support forums and apparently all admins with permissions set to manage users are supposed to receive the emails. Not sure why you're not receiving yours. Anyway, you can change the includes/ucp/ucp_register.php code slightly to set the emails to only be sent to founders rather than admins. Instructions can be found here if you want to give it a go. In the meantime though, now that the spambots have been baffled (for now), I don't mind receiving the odd email.

lothario wrote:
Aquila wrote:lol ok...somehow I ended up with all the notifications :P

Was it your personal email? It should be music-playground@music-playground.net...

yeah my hotmail account :lol:
Last edited by Aquila on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Est. 1981
Aquila
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Aquila » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 am

I should also point out that while doing a test registration I encountered a minor flaw in the confirmation page.

It says, "Thank you for registering. You can now join the competition, or visit the forum.", but makes no mention of having to wait for Administrator approval. This might confuse some new users.

I've looked through the language files in an attempt to correct it, but couldn't find any reference to the sentence. Did you modify it yourself?
Est. 1981
Aquila
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Mo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for sorting this out guys... It's appreciated by all I'm sure.
This is my fucking signature.
Mo

Postby lothario » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Aquila wrote:I should also point out that while doing a test registration I encountered a minor flaw in the confirmation page.

It says, "Thank you for registering. You can now join the competition, or visit the forum.", but makes no mention of having to wait for Administrator approval. This might confuse some new users.

I've looked through the language files in an attempt to correct it, but couldn't find any reference to the sentence. Did you modify it yourself?

Yeah, it's a mod done directly in the source. I've changed it to:

Thank you for registering. Your account needs to be activated by an admin, before you can join the competition, or visit the forum.

This message only shows when a competition is active.

If you want something corrected, please let me know, because I have a working copy on my computer at home, where I make updates and changes, before copying them to the site, and don't want to overwrite any of your edits.
lothario
General
General

Postby Aquila » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

Mo wrote:Thanks for sorting this out guys... It's appreciated by all I'm sure.

and it's all for you guys :D
Est. 1981
Aquila
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re:

Postby Aquila » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

I've had a few people complain that they couldn't get past the recent anti-spambot settings, so I've wound them back a bit.

Originally, I required them to copy/paste an image URL into a new browser and enter the code that appeared once it finished loading. Surprisingly, this appeared too complicated for some, so now I've set it to write a specific word backwards.

If spambot registrations start flooding in again though, I'll have to crank the security up once more.
Est. 1981
Aquila
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

16 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2
Post a reply